Chile 03, p.1
16 October 1970
IMMEDIATE SANTIAGO (EYES ONLY)
1. Track Two policy, objectives, and actions were reviewed at high USG level afternoon 15 October. Conclusions, which are to be your operational guide, follow:
2. It is firm and continuing policy that Allende be overthrown by a coup.
It would be much preferable to have this transpire prior to 24 October but
efforts in this regard will continue vigorously beyond this date. We are
to continue to generate maximum pressure toward this end utilizing every
appropriate resource. It is imperative that these actions be implemented
clandestinely and securely so that the USG and American hand be well
hidden. While this imposes upon us a high degree of selectivity in making
military contacts and dictates
Chile 03, p.2
that these contacts be made in the most secure manner it definitely does not preclude contacts such as reported in Santiago 544 which was a masterful piece of work.
3. After the most careful consideration it was determined that a Viaux
coup attempt carried out by him alone with the forces now at his disposal
would fail. Thus, it would be counterproductive to our Track Two [?]
objectives. It was decided that CIA get a message to Viaux warning him
against precipitate action. In essence our message is to state, "We have
reviewed your plans, and based on your information and ours, we come to
the conclusion that your plans for a coup at this time cannot succeed.
Failing, they may reduce your capabilities for the future. Preserve your
assets. We will stay in touch. The time will come
Chile 03, p.3
when you together with all your other friends can do something. You will continue to have our support." You are requested to deliver the message to Viaux essentially as noted above. Our objectives are as follows: (A) to advise him of our opinion and discourage him from acting alone; (B) continue to encourage him to amplify his planning; (C) encourage him to join forces with other coup planners so that they may act in concert either before or after 24 October. (N.B. Six gas masks and six CS cannisters are being carried to Santiago by special [deleted] courier ETD Washington 1100 hours 16 October.)
4. There is great and continuing interest in the activities of Tirado, Canales, Valenzuela et al and we wish them optimum good fortune.
5. The above is your operating guidance. No other
Chile 03, p.4
policy guidance you may receive from State or its maximum exponent in Santiago, on his return, are to sway you from your course.
6. Please review all your present and possibly new activities to include propaganda, black operations, surfacing of intelligence or disinformation, personal contacts, or anything else your imagination can conjure which will permit you to press forward toward our [deleted] objective in a secure manner.